View Single Post
Pup On point- wish I had a pointing Lab- but No--
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pup On point- wish I had a pointing Lab- but No--

[QUOTE=Tim Sheldon;11048]Run, how did your pup hold point on a damascus 16ga? Last I knew you were a tried and true 12 gauge guy that didn't want anything to do with those, I think you called them lawyer loving barrels.

Did you bump your head?

Tim[- As a matter of fact Tim, I did- last week taking my Grandgal (age 4) Sophia Anastasia- down the old snow crusted hill on a 80 year old toboggan- we hit a "speed bump" and went airborne- it cracked the toboggan a bit, I was wearing my insulated Carhartt's bib pants and heavy coat with hood, plus a wool watch cap- I pulled her into my bulk to cushion her, and ended up with a small goose egg on the "olde dome"- she was unhurt, but of course, a little shaken up at first- later, she wanted to do it again- but as Clint Eastwood once said "Man oughta know his limitations"--

My lab Khartoum is a flusher- great retriever on ducks and geese, but at age three, likes to chase the "Ditch Parrots" a bit- but I hunted last Sat. at our Club on the after lunch pick-up with two Yellow Labs- pointing variety- wow, nice close working, solid on retrive, great noses and bird sense. Khartoum is a one man dog- and I am that one man- if I were to hunt him with another Lab he would sulk and shut down- hope he'll grow outta that some day-soon

I may have called the Damascus/Twist tubes "lawyer traps" after my Mike McIntosh 101 reading, but having attended a few Clays shoots with the "brethern" and learned from them a bit of the ins and outs of that, I went for the PH- what a sweetheart- perfect balance, for a lower grade Parker for that era (1906?) what a nice piece of well flamed walnut and the fit of the stock shield and the black DHBP-- like a Irish redhead with green eyes in Tommy Doyle's near closing time- I let my heart over-run my normal reticence to invest in anything but either a 12 or a std (NOT 3.5") 10 bore-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote