Thread: Ballistol
View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2023, 01:34 PM   #3
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

All of my guns have all the metal wiped down with it externally and I've never had any issues. Using it internally in the action and in the bores is another thing - it varnishes up and gets tacky and can gum up the chambers which causes shells to stick a bit when trying to remove them. It protects the chambers though. I've had a pump shotgun seize up on me from a shell sticking in the chamber too hard after the gun had been put away with the bore and chamber wiped down with Ballistol. You have to brush the chambers clean before you start shooting. In the bores it's not an issue as it just shoots out. In the internal workings the varnishing is generally not an issue at all; it actually protects the metal better because it does not run off the metal. You take the gun apart 5yrs after spraying it down with Ballistol and it will look just like it did when you last had it apart. I've never seen anything last and protect the innards better. I've never had it happen, but I can see it gumming up a Parker sear notch if the gun sat for too long, which could potentially cause a "hair trigger" or a sticky sear release.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: