View Single Post
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Unread 01-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,678 Times in 870 Posts

Default BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

It's hell getting old. I always pack up my guns the night before in a two gun case. Always carry a spare dove hunting, and try to take a different gun every time. Got twenty minutes from home after loading up the dog and remembered my brushed in goose blind was in the back of the truck in my Jet Sled in which I carry everything to the dove field. That meant one thing. I forgot my guns. Instead of being set up before light I was nearly an hour late. Doves already feeding when I arrived on the next to the last day of the late season.

Took a gun I had never shot just for the heck of it, a Lefever Nitro Special in 12, a beast. I bought one just to say I had one. Made by Ithaca of course and not really a fine double, but to many an old timer this was as good as they could afford and to some was their pride and joy. Took an early Fox A grade as a backup, the beauty, but never used it. Would have had an easy limit if I had not forgotten to take the most important item. Seems I always forget something. last week it was my bucket seat with all of my decoys and battery for the Mojo.

Today I noticed a neat feature on the Nitro Special, a Prince of Wales style grip. I can't think of any other cheap double from the period that had such a pleasing grip somewhere between a pistol and a straight grip. It was barrel heavy but I shot it well with M&F chokes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-01-18 MOSBY & LEFEVER NITRO SPECIAL.JPG (426.3 KB, 39 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post: