View Single Post
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #75
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,912 Times in 535 Posts

I did a test with my repro 28ga. set....shot 50 rounds of clays X2 100 total. at each station I shot both sets of barrels IC/M M/F factory chokes at .oo4/.013 .014/.033 My scores ended up about the same for each barrel set. did well with open chokes on close birds and less good at longer shots....better with tight chokes on the longer shots and not as good on close ones. The chokes do exactly as they were ment to! In order to improve my score I would need to swap barrels for the presintation at hand. I have not paterned them barrels as yet....will be doing that soon. If I find no problems with my paterns I will not mess with the factory chokes. Will use the barrel set most usefull for the game to be hunted. I hope the 5# shot hunting loads patern well from the .033 full choke or the 6# shot. If it does I will be very happy and leave them alone! I have always shot SXS guns with ample choke. I do well at clays.....live birds are either left untouched or stone dead. Shotguns like rifles can be fussy about loads and paterns....If the patern is good the choke just needs mated properly to the range of the target. My Kansas bird gun is a 16ga. choked ic/full with double triggers, close in and far out....perfect....(-: Thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio...
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote