View Single Post
Unread 12-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I use a singe edge razor rather than a exacto tool - cheaper. I don't skive and have loaded many cut down 12 and 10ga. Also the plastic start crimp tool works just fine, never found a reason for the brass one. I load with a Mec 600 with a 12ga drop tube. I found the 16ga filler wad would wad to go up in the 10ga drop tube too easy. It still will with the 12ga tube if your not careful. I first seat the plastic wad, then LIGHTY seat the filler wad. I have never found a need for wax. A Grabber could be turned into a 10ga press. If I remember correctly there are two washers under the carrier plate, or maybe one on top and one under. Anyways, they must be made smaller to allow the 10ga shell to locate properly. Also, the area where the shell goes in the carrier must be ground bigger to accept the 10ga shell and you'll get mighty close to grinding into the primer hole. There's room, you just have to be careful. I converted one, but being a brain dead old fart couldn't get it work because I was trying to load 2 5/8" shells and there wasn't enough adjustment for the short shells. Probably could have with a bit more fooling around but I got tired of it and quit. That's my take on the 10ga reloading. I use just Mec's, and they seem to work just fine for resizing, crimping , or anything. Good luck. Sounds like you're doing just fine - and your shooting sounds real good.