Thread: Ruffs up north
View Single Post
Unread 10-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,599 Times in 3,090 Posts

Bruce,

Thanks for the report! We are heading to Northern Minnesota for our annual 2-week trip at the end of next week. I'm glad to learn the numbers are decent. This will be our 37th consecutive year hunting Northern MN, mostly staying at the same cabin, and, I'm sure like you, we have lots of coverts that we know like old friends.

I get daily weather reports for the area we hunt -- mostly Northern Itasca and Koochiching Counties, so I think we are a bit north of your haunts. We used to go the first and second weeks of October, then tried the 2nd and third, and recently have settled on the 3rd and 4th weeks, mostly because it was too warm and there were too many leaves. I've seen the conditions have been much cooler, and today snow showers were reported. Glad to read your confirmation of good conditions. Our flush rates last year were very poor, so I'm encouraged to learn of your good luck.

Maybe one of these days we'll run into you. I enjoy your posts, and can tell you are a "hunter-collector," enjoying using your guns for what they were made to do. Each bird and each place its hunted has its own charm. Northern Minnesota in October is about as special as it gets.

Post more pictures when you can, please.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote