View Single Post
Unread 01-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Just my opinion. Cheddite hulls are inferior quality to American hulls. First, the metal is very thin. All of my automatics bend them and even the extractors will put a big dent in the rim. Don't ask how many cuss words I spit out when my recently reloaded Cheddites spit the primer into the action of my Beretta auto on the first shot jamming the gun as the geese flew away. I had to seal them with fingernail polish to use them up and then only as the third shot. The primer hole is slightly oversized, and even though loads tell you to use American 209s, they will upon occasion in an auto spit out the primer. So you have to use Cheddite primers or a Williams Primer Pocket Peener to make the hole smaller to keep the primer intact. Obviously in a double gun the spitting out of the primer is not a factor.

I would go with RP once fired 20 gauge 3" hulls every day over new Cheddites. I use them for 1 1/8 oz. loads. Less problems. With that said, because 16s are hard to find I do use new Cheddites and scrounge up the used purple hulls from the bottom of the barrels at events since they are already 2.5".
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post: