View Single Post
Unread 06-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #37
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,836 Times in 2,363 Posts

Quote:
All I really know is that after all the shooting that had been done with it, all that remained of all the ammo that was made especially for the gun with special head stamps was one original box of 25 with the exception that when the gun was offered to me one of those original shells had been removed and replaced with a 20 gauge shell. It was a DHE and no I didn’t buy it.... the price wasn’t realistic for a gun with a lot of wear and nowhere to buy ammo for it.
The article was by Keith Kearcher in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Four, Issue 3, pages 127 to 130. The run of 18-gauge ammo from Union Metallic Cartridge Co. was made for John M. Browning, circa 1905. Apparently he was experimenting with a lighter weight version of his autoloading shotgun. Nothing came of it. Half way through the production run of shells the 18-gauge "Bunter" (head stamp) broke and the run was finished with a 20-gauge stamp. So, pink UMC NITRO CLUB 18-gauge shells exist both with the No. 18 and the No. 20 head stamps. Major Howard Mills, manager of a duck club on the south side of Great Salt Lake made a deal with JMB for the supply of shells and in 1908 had the Brothers P make a gun for them on an 0-frame.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post: