View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #57
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The 63's seem to be very popular these days and are crazy expensive. They sure are nice rifles though. Classic vintage Winchester quality and from what I hear from a friend who has bought each of his grandsons one, they shoot straight. My favorite .22's these days are 1) a vintage Marlin mod 1892, I think it is, lever gun with a replacement eary mod 39 hex barrel and a Marbles tang sight, and 2) a vintage Savage mod. 29 pump gun with a long hex bbl and a target grade receiver sight. Both shoot v straight and get used regularly to educate my resident marauding red squirrels. I also have a 70's vintage Marlin mod 39A Mountie that I put a Bushnell AR .22 scope on and which shoots crazy accurate at 100yds. That one would be a great gun to try on prairie dogs out to 200yds, something I wouldn't try with any other .22 I have. I have a very nice Winchester mod 62A that I have beheaded a lot of spruce grouse with and really like but haven't shot it in a long time. Here's a pic of the old Marlin levergun. It's the perfect .22 in size and heft and works smooth as butter as old Marlins do. Interestingly, the tang was already drilled when I got it and the Marbles sight bolted right up. Due to a machining feature in the bolt, these will only handle standard velocity ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marbles tang sight mail.jpg (244.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin 92 whole gun mail.jpg (313.8 KB, 2 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: