View Single Post
Unread 03-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #18
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Paul View Post
Thanks J.A.; sounds like you have been there , done that. Is it reasonable to assume that standard commercially available salt will produce the appropriate color on a Parker trigger guard ? Can you start at say 570 and increase the temp to get the right color or should you start at a specific temperature ? How much material does it take to do one trigger guard and a set of screws ? Do you have specific recommendations as what to use at what temperature for how long ? Unfortunately, I don't have the where with all to attempt this myself, but would like to be able to discuss it somewhat intelligently with some one who can. Thanks again; I am just trying to educate myself.
Brian who is in the business of restoring these guns would be your best bet. He is the professional, I am not as I wrote. If you send the parts to him when he gets around to doing a batch you will not be disappointed. Unless you are going to do a lot of them the time and effort to get set up (Brownells salts, stainless tub, propane burner, tongs, etc.) would not be financially worth it. It is also not a safe operation as you are dealing with hot chemicals where a mistake will put you in the intensive care/burn department.

As Brian wrote about using a higher temperature, you need to start higher than what the chart calls for. Even though it shows to be in the high 500s, like Brian I have to be over 600 degrees to get the correct colors.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote