View Single Post
Unread 12-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #23
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Here's a postscript to my original post, and a thank you to all who have followed this thread and contributed stories, advice and wisdom.

Since I switched to the 20 gauge Parker I have shot 13 quail with 14 shots. I assure everyone, I know this is an aberration, and I am not normally this kind of shot, but, hey, I'll ride this little streak, just like I have the string of misses at other times. I still say that shooting wild birds as shots present themselves is like no other kind of shooting. I have no doubt I'll be humbled by Mr. Bob again very soon.

Now...I have a nice, original VH 20 gauge that has yet to be shot. Am I crazy to switch guns now? Very likely.

Here's a few more of Elaine's pictures from our last several hunts. The puppy continues to take at least two steps forward for every one back, and his partners in crime have done well also. Recently, we've had very decent weather in our North Missouri covers, and the coveys we've found have been of good size with hard flying birds. Who could ask for more?

Photo Key:

1. That's the puppy, Aspen, on the left backing his bracemate, Cedar. He backs naturally, but wants to ease up with me at times. We're working to correct this.
2. This is Aspen on his own point. If you hunt wild quail, you know that if you are alone, a set-up like this very often offers a poor shot if any. Sometimes Elaine will flush them for us, but we opted for the picture this time. No shot, but Aspen did not mind.
3. Here's the culmination of a nice retrieve to hand by Aspen. Cedar is a half-hearted retriever, and Alder just does not retrieve, so I and my old bones are really happy that Aspen has taken to bringing birds to me. That Parker skeleton buttplate shows up well in this photo! I was measured to shoot with a 15" LOP, but the 14 1/8 inch DHE obviously suits me just fine.
4. This photo does not do the size of this bottom-land Pin Oak justice. It was a monarch that Elaine and I could barely touch hands with both of us reaching around it. We have been "collecting" large trees in pictures for many years. There's so much richness to a good hunt, and it includes a sense of place that always makes us grateful that we can still roam places like this.
5. This is the back side of a farm we hunted Saturday on an achingly beautiful day. The air was so still that at sunset we could hear voices in the Amish farmyard almost a mile away. Although a day I deem to be of Red Letter caliber includes birds, good dog work, and decent shooting, it seems that any more the weather is as much a part of the memory as any of the other elements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1312.jpg (411.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1305.jpg (525.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1314.jpg (406.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1315.jpg (447.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1337.jpg (494.6 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: