View Single Post
Unread 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #15
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jay View Post
I too have a PR barrel issue and I'll start by asking this question; If the barrels lock up tight and also sit tight on face what's the purpose of the dolls head? Here's my issue; bought 0 gauge 16 gauge Krieghof barrels from a gentlemen on this Board to fit my 20 gauge PR. Took gun, original forend and barrels to Gunsmithing Ltd. to be fitted. In my own assemblage of the barrels to the frame the dolls head was about 1/16" or so short and not touching the back. I asked Mitch what could be done about the gap and he said it posed no risk to shoot and there would just be that little visual gap. I believe if I had asked (and paid to do it) he would have come up with a solution, but he thought it was no big deal so I have left it alone. Probably put a few hunded shells through it with no problem. Next spring I'll be looking for a Parker DH/E 20 gauge on an 0 frame and will most likely have the 16 gauge barrels fitted to this gun and will address the dolls head issue then. A few more questions, are PR dolls heads available from anyone? Thinking that if new are available in the white or blued the dimensions might be larger and could be made to fit. Does removing the screw on the dolls head remove it without screwing anything else up? Sorry but don't have a photo to post at this time...away from home on vacation. Thanks.
Tom, it's the front edge of the dolls head providing the functional lock of the barrel to the standing breech. By design it literally intends to hold the barrel tight up against the breech instead of separating under load and, relying solely on the under-bolt. Your gun is safe. ‘Theoretically’ your dolls head is not as robust compared to a dolls head that fully occupies the pocket machined in the frame simply because there’s less material but, it will not fail. The aesthetic would bother me. A good gunsmith with welding skill could likely build material so that the space can be eliminated but that would also require some extra work contending with the dovetailed plate that stops your ejectors. Adding material to the pocket in the frame would be a mistake in my view. A savvy gunsmith could make a new dovetailed plate that would occupy the space without having to weld any material at all ‘if’ there is enough of a gap there to allow a degree of material to work with (kind of a catch 22). And, of course, if you were willing to pay the hrs it would take to complete the tedious task - trust me, gunsmiths are underpaid. The radii x2 at the rear of the extension would be tricky to blend in order to make the repair invisible - engraving would help to hide imperfection if deliberately executed by a good eye.

Maybe someone else will chime in and tell you that it's far less complicated..I dunno', I've never done it and there are plenty that have. It's a shame you have a gap there.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote