View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #92
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Thraen View Post
Just thinking ahead. Any advice on using alkanet root as a stain on this Parker? I have read quite a lot on AR as a stain to get that red tone but I am not sure about using it on my 1893 Parker? I do not make my own of course but am aware that a product by S.B. McWilliams can be purchased on eBay. Looking for your advice. Thanks.

A note: On my project gun from last winter (Leftover G S#47216: Stock repair- yikes on the Double gun forum) I used Brownell's Pilkington spirit stain and then multiple hand rubbed coats of Velvit Oil. Turned out very satisfactory.
I use alkanat root oil that I made up years ago. I have a lifetime supply. I took alkanet roots from England and boiled them, on a stove, in linseed oil with Japan drier added. My method of finishing a stock using the alkanet oil is to fill all of the pores first and then wipe down with the alkanet oil and let dry for at least 24 hours. I do additional coats if necessary. I don't mix alkanet oil with the coats of final finish since, I believe, that it dulls the impact of the grain with multiple coats of finish. Putting alkanet oil on before the final finishing seems to work fine and the grain continues to stand out.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: