View Single Post
Hunting With Pop
Unread 02-11-2024, 04:24 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,775 Times in 3,125 Posts

Default Hunting With Pop

I took my annual "Hunting with Pop" trip yesterday out at the farm. My father, long passed away, introduced me to hunting and instilled a love for the hunt that has not dwindled since those early days in coastal Virginia when, at age 6, I was Pop's squirrel "dog." I did service as dog -- the guy who worked around the tree so that the squirrel would move to Pop's side for a shot -- for a season until he gave me a Sears push-button .410. Pop used a J.C. Higgins .22 with a high powered rifle scope and would only take head shots (using .22 short hollow points).

Once a year I go just to be sure I remember. This year I blooded my new VH .410. I think Pop would have approved my using a Parker...but would likely have used his .22. I like to think we were a good team.

I'm sure I'm not alone in what I owe my father for taking me hunting. Here's to all our parents who took the time to take us hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5942.jpg (524.5 KB, 8 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: