Unread 03-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Tim Wells
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Really? I didn't know that.

Parker AH grade, factory engraved.
That's why I said "tend to be" which was certainly not intended to suggest all inclusive, and while those dogs for example are a little more detailed than what I was referring to, they are still quite a bit less detailed than what you would see on a gun that someone had a freelance engraver do.

This is because you are requesting a certain look and since the independent engraver isn't banging out "production" work he has more time and inclination to make more realistic renderings rather than an outline of a dog or deer or whatever.

If you care to look up some of the production work done back when these guns were new you can see varying degrees of realism even within the same brand. The higher in grade you go for instance, the customer would expect more realistic looking animals in a factory pattern and rightfully so.

My comments were not intended to degrade Parker factory jobs or any other brand, just stating a fact for comparison. When it was posted that some "forum experts" think engraving other than factory decreases the value, I couldn't disagree more and that is why I tried to illustrate my point the way I did.

Some folks like factory patterns and want original factory engraved guns only, so they seek those out. To such a person, a gun engraved by independent folks might not appeal to them and wouldn't see the value in it. While others are just the opposite, so different strokes for different folks I reckon. Either way, all engraving is intended to be functional art and done so that it enhances the value, otherwise why do it at all? Nice gun by the way.
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim Wells For Your Post: