View Single Post
Unread 04-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

73miles from Fairbanks Dean. 35miles SE of Healy, a coal mine town, but it's quite a trip over the pass to get here from there. It can be done though; a hunting guide used to ride his working horses in over the pass every summer. Those tracks are from a trapper who bases out of a sizeable lodge complex 2.3miles down river. It's quite the place and used to be a hunting lodge until the owner fatally crashed his Super Cub because he strapped hay bales on the struts and tried to get out of a very short strip. Bad idea. Someone tried to make it a sightseeing lodge for a while but that didn't go and it has a new owner now, but not much activity that I've seen. There is a beaver lodge on this little lake that has never been active since I've been going out there. There is an active lodge on a tiny pond between this lake and the river that the trapper made a trap set on this spring. First time I've seen anyone trap that lodge. A google search of "Lynn Castle Wood River Lodge" will turn up a lot of information. The link below shows only a fraction of what is there. There's something like 17 buildings there. The main bldg is in good shape but some of the rest are falling apart. There's a road grader, a Cat D-2, and some horse drawn equipment there used for their hay field. The original owner put a lot of effort and money into putting it together. I know several hunting guides that got their start working for Lynn. Not enough room here to go into all the history. https://woodriveralaska.com/the-lodge

Have added a pic showing where the lodge is compared to my little lake.

Dean: I assume the orimaries are the wing feathers? Google has no idea what an orimarie is! I can tell you that I had a drumming ruffie in the woods here for a month one spring and by the time he was finished drumming he looked like he had gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson! His tail was especially frazzled. Good thing I kept him fed with daily dishes of sunflower chips and water delivered right to his log. Actually, the second grouse picture shows the reception I got most days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upper Wood River april 26 2020 mail2.jpg (361.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Drumming ruffie3 mail.jpg (137.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Drummer apr 22 2007 mail.jpg (217.9 KB, 5 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: