View Single Post
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,075 Posts

For grouse and woodcock in thick cover -- or in the mountains -- I like a very light gun that I can easily carry with one hand while using the other to clear brush...or hang on for dear life while climbing through a mountain clearcut. The guns I use for this weigh between 5 lbs. 3 oz. (my Dickson 28 bore) and 5 lbs. 13 oz. (my Fox XE 16 bore).

For quail on the prairie I like between 5 lbs. 10 oz. (my Cogswell & Harrison back action hammer 16 bore w/30 inch barrels -- good forward weight) and 6 lbs. 10 oz. (my Parker DHE 20 bore with 30 inch barrels that fits me like a glove).

If I think I will encounter pheasants I'll opt for a heavier 16 in the 6 1/2 pound range or a 12 bore in the 7 pound range (my GH 30 inch 12 bore that weighs -- and letters at -- 7 lbs.).

Obviously, choke requirements change, too, and are just as important as weight.

Like Kenny, we hunt long days when pursuing upland birds. I don't want to end up with one arm longer than the other.

Now for ducks or dove...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote