View Single Post
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #21
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Robert, The sense of loss we know has no name but we know it never-the-less. The South of my knowledge knew it. The inheritance of a defeated people. I am alarmed to see such feelings expressed by our President to the world about a people who have not been defeated. This correspondence awakens in me the remembrance that only those who had the courage to face any and all challenges had any chance of success. Success was not available to all but those who fought for it at least passed on to their descendants a sense of urgency and hope for the future. There is no place on earth that has a greater hold on my emotions than the Low Country. Alas I have removed myself from it because of a new loss. I have been replaced by richer immigrants who are fleeing from places like New York and have the cash to buy the locals out. My property taxes rose to over $35,000. for two very old small houses which were connected by doors but together had no more than 3000 sqf of space in a desirable part of town. For that tax I could not expect police protection from the drunks who made the night hell , nor would the city clean up the broken glass left by such people. Together with the cities' tourism bent and as my neighbors left and I was isolated in a neighborhood of strangers, I voted with my feet. David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote