View Single Post
New User from N. Illinois looking for assistance
Unread 11-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Nicholas Stauber
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New User from N. Illinois looking for assistance

Hello from behind enemy lines in N. Illinois,

I'm trying to help a customer of mine get his Parker insured and they need a statement of value. I've handled quite a few doing transfers from customers who purchased Parkers at auctions but I'm far from an expert.

The gun in question is 12ga Grade 2 Exposed Hammer Toplever gun with 30" Damascus barrels, extractor only, built on #2 frame. SN# 24879.
I'm familiar with grading based on remaining case color, original finish, etc, but the thing that is throwing me for a loop is the lack of a dolls head. I know that the feature was implemented some time in 1882, but what does that mean for the value? I found a post on this forum stating that there approximately 283 Grade 2 toplever guns are out there without a dolls head. Does that 283 include Grade 2 guns in all gauges, barrel lengths, stock types, variants, etc? If so, how rare is this gun and what does that do for the value compared to a slightly later model with the dolls head in similar condition?

I've searched the online auctions and auction results from a few large houses, but I haven't found what I would consider a comparable gun. If it were just based on remaining finish, features, etc, I think I could manage. I have seen exactly one for sale on line where the ad touts the lack of a dolls head - its a Grade 3 hammerless with much more original finish remaining, and close to $10K.

I also noticed that a 12ga hull fit rather loosely in the chambers, but its too small for a 10ga. I measured the bores with a Stan Baker gauge and they come out .724/.722"@the muzzles .753/.754 @ 4" in from the muzzle and .757/.758 as deep as the probe can measure (maybe 18" or so). I didn't get a chance to mic the chamber mouths, but the forcing cones started at approximately 2-5/8" point, definitely shy of 2-3/4" Are these just standard dimensions for period Parker guns, or indicative of a non-standard chambering?

Any assistance would be helpful!
Nicholas Stauber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicholas Stauber For Your Post: