View Single Post
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

The problem with welding an extension to the short tang is that the weld will show when charcoal blued in the original finish. So most smiths just rust blue welded trigger guards to prevent it from showing.

I'd buy the Galazan TG engrave it and bright charcoal blue as original. I'd also straighten the upper tang of the frame and possibly raise it along with the rear of the lower tang. This will make the lower line of the stock higher allowing for a normal tallness of the buttplate when you raise the comb to modern dimensions.

I'd not worry about loosing value due to the stock not being a pistol. The value of a restored VH will be based on the craftsmanship and appearance IMO. "Appearance" of authenticity seems to be the biggest aid in resoration value of low grade guns, rather than full custom features. I think higher figured wood is almost expected, but not too high. Original checker patterns are a safe bet, but a higher factory grade pattern seems to have acceptance. Shootable dimensions are a must on a non-collectable, IMO.

Last edited by Chuck Heald; 01-22-2012 at 04:33 PM..
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post: