View Single Post
Unread 05-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #16
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Oh boy, I figured the light gun guys would sound off. Well, I'm not one of them. I like my grouse gun to weigh around 6-10 to 12 with 26" barrels. However, as Jay said, it needs to be dynamic in handling. I don't use the term balance though as that is a misnomer. It is how the weight is distributed that makes a gun dynamic and a heavier gun seem lighter without the shortfall of light guns. A big plus is that one can shoot a round of clays to practice with the hunting gun without getting the snot kicked out. As for choke I like the Q1/2 repros or equivalent. I have two that currently qualify and several that do not. I went down the light gun route many years ago and a bunch of bucks ago before I discovered that light was not the answer, for me. Luckily that Purdy that I once owned returned my investment plus some but it was one of the worst shooters I ever owned.
I think we are in the same boat! I totally agree about gun dynamics. I never really thought about it prior. I always use a heavier gun and really dont notice the weight. I do notice my swing is better and not as erratic, It always felt like lighter guns I had less control and more misses. I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Scottish double made for walk up grouse shooting in the highlands, 26" barrels and 6.4 lbs I thought it was going to be snappy and whippy, but that gun was an eye opener as the weight is distributed differently then my other lighter short barreled guns. It swings really smooth with the weight distributed forward, but so much that it feels barrel heavy. I really enjoy shooting it, and gun dynamics is something I plan on educating myself on! This is a great topic with many different experiences and ideas! Thanks guys!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote