View Single Post
Unread 03-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #16
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
The 34 in barrels were beat on and filed on the breech end, don't ask me why. It would take a master metal worker/welder alot of effort to make it right. Look at the gap.
If 34" barrels are in decent shape besides the breech, I would put any money spent into breech repair. Those have to be a rare duck too. You can have another set fit and restamped, but anyone with any knowledge will look it up and know it isn't original whether you disclose or not. The price will be significantly lowered either way.

Barrels aren't heat treated to a great degree, so I would think any competent welder could slowly lay a solid overlay on the breech and the chamber be recut to the proper depth and everything cleaned up. They may be able to devise a flexible dam clamped around the outside as far as possible to contain the weld as much as possible. Heat sink past and heat sinks could possible be employed to protect the solder joints. Worst case may be a resolder or relay of the ribs. I have never seen this done, but I do have a Brownell 12 gauge tool that can within a few minutes by hand cut a ring inlet recess which allows you to simply silver solder the ring in, then rechamber to cut the new rim. I have done this to several old 12's that had faulty ignition and they all worked out well. No machinery needed. I would ask around and see if this has been done before.

I would also have the new barrels fitted, but really see no point in spending money to restamp. It would have no monetary appeal to a collector that I could see.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote