View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #17
Jeff Elder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Houde View Post
A number of years ago I was considering a Chesapeake. I visited a guy who I knew from some NAHRA tests. He had a litter and I went to take a look. They were beautiful pups, that nice dead marsh grass color. He owned both the sire and dam. I also knew he was a serious waterfowler so they should be good prospects.

Red flag number 1, the sire was "in the house because he's not real sociable with strangers."

The dam on the other end was real friendly. I was giving serious consideration to a nice looking female pup when I noticed a Frankenstein looking scar on my host's arm and elbow. He told me "My male did that when I tried to take a duck from him."

I politely passed on a pup. Chesapeake's are not aggressive so much as they are protective and are known to be a "one owner dog." But that kind of behavior is unacceptable to me.

From what I am seeing, dedicated breeders have made strides to breed a friendlier, more sociable dog. I am also seeing more and more owners showing up at hunt tests that don't actually hunt, they simply enjoy the venue.

In the end, I got an American Water Spaniel. My first (and only male). While he is an excellent gun dog and beloved family member, he is also a "little Chesapeake" LOL.

Well they are the roughest toughest professionals in the marsh.
Jeff Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Jeff Elder's homepage!