Thread: Best Day Afield
View Single Post
Unread 04-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i had many days in the field with my dad all special...but heres one of them...we were turkey hunting this stormy rainy day i had seen turkey feeding in a soybean field the day before...so the next day we went to that field both of us had put on rain gear i had put on hip boots sense there was a big ditch to cross in the bean field...sure enough the turkeys were feeding in the field our plan was for each one of us to try and slip to the end of the field where hope fully one of us would get a shot or maybe both of us...my dad took the west end of the field and i took the east end...i slowly made my way toward the big ditch we had perfect cover as the ditch had lot of bushes growing on the banks..the water had rose pretty high and it was raining like cats and dogs...the turkeys could not here any of our movements....the turkeys fed to the center of the field so i slid off into that ditch water was up to my breast pockets the over groth made a perfect canopy over the ditch...i held that old 10 ga lefever over my head as i walked up the ditch...i guess that my father was in place by now so i slowly made my way up that ditch water was swift so i had to hang onto limbs as i slowly made my way....it would come a big clamp of thunder and about 3 of those gobblers would really gobble at the noise...must be about 15 turkeys in the flock feeding about 4 of them were big gobblers... i still was not in gun range and the ditch i was in my cover was getting thin so i was affraid i would be seen...the turkeys continued to feed farther away from me but that was ok for i knew my dad was up ther some where and should get a shot...in a few minutes i heard my dads old smith and wesson 12 ga sound off the turkeys flew but none came in my direction...i climb out of that ditch and went to check out how big this old gobbler was...it was a nice mature bird...my dad was grinning.....ill never forget that rainy stormy hunt with my dad....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: