View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2024, 01:01 PM   #30
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,099 Times in 421 Posts

I just read this due to a much later thread, but I do have to make one comment based on many of the posts made in this thread. While it is a beautiful gun, I have to say based on a lot of experience in woodworking, a little of it on guns, that I don't share the opinion of the work done on the inlays. While they are well color matched, the joint around them is not of a caliber that would be seen on any well executed piece of furniture or, particularly, a quality musical instrument. These were placed on flat sections of the stock so they should be expected to meet the same criteria. While the workmanship, I think, lacks a little, what caused me to post was that I think the worker made no attempt to match the grain. While these are relatively small and from a piece with similar color and grain, they were inlaid at a ridiculous angle of the stockwood grain. These should have closely followed the grain layout of the stock. If that had been done and a little more care taken with the patch inletting, the inlays would have beenalmost invisible without needing the cheeks checkered to cover it.

I'm not trying to be picky but it seems incongruent for work done on a hig level/ high condition gun.

The fact remains that it is a nice gun. If it were mine, I might be tempted instead of checkering the cheeks to have someone good redo the repairs to the cheeks.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: