View Single Post
Unread 12-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Todd;
Was that Kellogg dog out of Mayo Kellogg's kennel in South Dakota?
If so I had one of his labs, one of the first kennels to produce the pointing lab, and he was a remarkable dog. Did it all. Sadly lost him at 9yrs. to cancer. This fellow Mayo was quite a character.
Yep, that is the one. I think you and I traded some comments about it a few weeks ago. I remember looking at the picture of your Lab with your signature and telling you how much it looked like one of my dogs. Great memories of both of my black labs, they have been gone now for close to 15 years. Life's turn has me in a position where I can't hunt as much to get a hunting lab but maybe someday will be able to get back at it.

If I buy another lab will really have to do some research. I have friends that have had lots of trouble with their labs in the hips. Really sorry to hear you lost your dog to cancer at 9, way to young you should of still gotten at least 2 or 3 good years out him and hopefully a couple of more where all he had to do was get the newspaper and pass gas.

I don't know what is about old labs but when they let one rip no matter what you feed them it can water an eye. I swore my Lucy did it to get back at me for all those years of making her go hunting even when I had her son doing all the really hard work. I only made her get the close ones after I sent Rufus and even then she had this look of "do I really have to, he's doing a great job and will do it when he gets back". Years alter where ever I would sit or stand for a bit she would come over lay down next to me and sure enough about 10 minutes later I would be saying "good gracious Lucy", she would not even raise her head up but she would have this little grin roll across her face.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: