View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

It might be good to consider what other factors might be important. Do you want to live in a higher population area? What about the healthcare nearby?
There are places in the "middle" of the country that have great features for an upland hunter and angler. SE Minnesota has some of the best trout fishing you'll find outside of the mountain west. There are grouse there, and flighting woodcock, but not in great numbers (but almost no grouse hunters -- it's big buck/turkey country), but you'll be a shorter drive to some of the best, and most available, grouse/woodcock hunting in the northern part of the state. Great healthcare at the Mayo Clinic...if you can get in.

During the 10-12 years you have before you retire, you might try hunting and fishing in some of these prospective places. Also, consider hunting some other upland birds and fishing for other species (I know, sounds like heresy!). There are some great places to live in low population areas, do some great upland hunting, and fish most of the year. If you are not far from an airport, your family can visit whenever...and they might be more inclined if traveling is to a place that's like a vacation site for them.

Good luck. Dream big, but consider some of the other variables (as I'm sure you are).

(BTW, We have 160 acres in addition to our house (a quite small older house for sure), and our taxes in Missouri are about $175 for the land (farm taxes are very, very low) and for all other things -- house, cars, tractor, etc -- we pay about $1700 -- a far cry from what you cite. Of course, our roads are crummy, our schools not so hot, etc. BUT our Conservation Dept. is a model for the rest of the country as it is funded (at least for now) in large part by a 1/8 percent sales tax. The population in the top two tiers of counties in Missouri is lower now than it was in 1900, and land is cheap enough that guys from out of state buy it up for hunting. So many things to consider, but you have time.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: