View Single Post
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,652 Times in 4,631 Posts

First make sure your screws are in the right holes. When looking at the bottom of the gun, the left screw should have no mark on it and the right should have a single hash mark filed in it. The rear screw will either be longer or have an X filed in it.

In regards to the screw fitting. I have fitted many of the Galazan screws, but lately I have just been making them up individually as I need them.
The floor plate screws are the most commonly replaced ones. With the tang screws being right behind them.

If you get the Galazan kit, it will come with 3 floor plate screws. Try all of them until you get one that is as close to timing without work. If it needs more of a turn to go home, chuck the screw up in a drill press and while spinning file material off the underside of the head. Do this a little at a time and keep checking until the screw times correctly.

Then the head of the screw needs to be filed down to profile to meet the plate. The only way to get a PERFECT fit is to take it down to the plate and polish both together, but unless you are re coloring, that can usually not be done. You just have to take it down as close as you can and then do the rest with the screw out of the plate. Checking progress often.
Polish the head nicely and then patina it to match the frame using any number of methods. Vinegar, cold blue, match flame. Whatever works to dull it down and not have it stick out like a sore thumb.

A lot of work. Nut the result is invaluable. Because nothing sours the appearance of a gun than poor screws.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!