Thread: Veterans Day
View Single Post
Uncommon Valor Was (and still is) a Common Virtue
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Uncommon Valor Was (and still is) a Common Virtue

I hope the late USN Adm. Chester Nimitz will allow me to paraphrase his words, which are inscribed on the base of the USMC Monument in DC, just up river from Arlington National Cemetery. Colonel Day's description of the young Marine who lost a foot in that fire fight rings true- and not just for the USMC but for all forward units in combat, regardless of rank, unit, division or Branch of Military Service. If you read his post carefully would will see that the NCO's and the Platoon Commanders (Lts.) were out in front, as all leaders must be.

I think many, too many indeed, of us who have served, no matter in which time frame or combat theater have lost a close friend to the tragedy that any war or armed conflict brings. My best friend from school days (50 years ago) went to OSU on a football scholarship, did his ROTC and was a 1st. Lt. in the Army, 82nd. Airborne Division, then into the 5th SF- he was "on point" near Pleiku in Feb 1966- hit a trip wire, turned and hit the ground with the next trooper behind him (we called them slack men back then) and covered him to shield him from the frags- Don died doing that, received both the Purple Heart and a Silver Star- I have a tracing of him name from the wall and both his jump wings and one of his Lt. bars in a special place-and I look at those things each year on this day--His sacrifice exemplified the leadership that Colonel Day detailed for us here- He may be gone, but will never be forgotten- never!!

Last edited by Francis Morin; 11-11-2009 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Correct first name for late Adm. Nimitz
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote