View Single Post
Unread 02-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #15
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Cardillo View Post
Why not acquire an original DHE, or one that's got honest wear and can be re-habbed if that's what one wants? A PR will always be a PR, no matter the enhancements, no?

(no judgment here or opining on someone else's choices w/their own property - just playing devil's advocate, and curious to hear opinions)
If it were only that simple. What's an original 28 ga DHE, BTFE, straight stock, with a second set of barrels going to sell for, IF one could even find one for sale? $20k-$25K? And even if you bought one who would hunt it as hard as you would a Reproduction? The mistake I made was trying to age the repro's spray on case color with Semi-chrome. The result was a nickel bright receiver. Don't get me wrong, I have no regrets. My point is thinking that having Bachelder, Turnbull, do work on a repro will result in a dramatic increase in value is wishful thinking. I should also mention that I didn't lose much money having what work done. I paid $6k for it in 2004, had the work done in 2011(?) for less than $500, sold it in 2013(?) for $6,500, and bought it back in 2018 for $6,000. As has been discussed in multiple threads, Repos, like every other double, are not selling for what they did even a few years ago. The gentleman who bought my Repro paid a very fair price and I am glad it is in good hands.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post: