View Single Post
Unread 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #33
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Now that might be the best idea yet I have heard justifying a 28 gauge slug.

I don't know the ballistics of a 28 gauge slug as compared to a handgun, but would think the muzzle velocity foot pounds would be higher and deliver a more potent shot than a hand gun, and probably be more accurate out to 20 yards.

My dad long time ago in Minnesota had the same thing happen to him with a wolf chasing his setter down to within 5 yards of him. Dog never even saw the wolf until my dad yelled at it. At first he thought is was a sheep or goat with that big long face running across a clear cut until it got closer. Luckily his setter was close but he had gun up ready to shoot but was able to call it off. Like your incident that wolf looked surprised that my dad was there and did not run off but just stopped and sort of walked off. I guess they are still protected. Get a couple of round over their head or get peppered a few times they may get wary of man. Most dangerous bears are the park bears that are protected and not afraid of man. I guess that goes with wolfs as well.

Several years later he also got separated from a dog up there we believe a wolf might of gotten him but can't be sure since dog disappeared. It had a chip in the ear and everything and he let every vet and animal control person in norther Minnesota know about it but never a heard a word back.
Todd,

Minnesota established a wolf season a few years back, but the animal rights folks got to a federal judge and stopped it. I think there are more than a few deer hunters in the North Woods that will shoot wolves if given the chance, at least that's the sense I get when I talk with them. It's a bit intimidating to pull up to a covert and just as we are about to release the dogs, we hear two packs howling back and forth, both within several hundred yards. I did go with a 16 gauge for a while because I could find buck shot, but it's hard to leave the 28 in the truck.

I sure am sorry to learn about your Dad's dog. It's a scary prospect to have a lost dog in the North Woods with the number of wolves around. I understand that hunters who run hounds after game, especially in Wisconsin, are losing dogs to wolves with regularity. I do use a beeper on our dogs in hopes of running off any nearby wolves.

This coming season I'll be packing slugs.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: