Thread: 28 gauge slugs
View Single Post
Unread 09-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #32
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Now that might be the best idea yet I have heard justifying a 28 gauge slug.

I don't know the ballistics of a 28 gauge slug as compared to a handgun, but would think the muzzle velocity foot pounds would be higher and deliver a more potent shot than a hand gun, and probably be more accurate out to 20 yards.

My dad long time ago in Minnesota had the same thing happen to him with a wolf chasing his setter down to within 5 yards of him. Dog never even saw the wolf until my dad yelled at it. At first he thought is was a sheep or goat with that big long face running across a clear cut until it got closer. Luckily his setter was close but he had gun up ready to shoot but was able to call it off. Like your incident that wolf looked surprised that my dad was there and did not run off but just stopped and sort of walked off. I guess they are still protected. Get a couple of round over their head or get peppered a few times they may get wary of man. Most dangerous bears are the park bears that are protected and not afraid of man. I guess that goes with wolfs as well.

Several years later he also got separated from a dog up there we believe a wolf might of gotten him but can't be sure since dog disappeared. It had a chip in the ear and everything and he let every vet and animal control person in norther Minnesota know about it but never a heard a word back.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote