View Single Post
Unread 09-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

The high peaks of Colorado provide an incredibly backdrop for ptarmigan hunting. You are a fortunate man Shawn. I do two sometimes three trips a year to the high peaks for greenback cutthroat trout in RMNC. I have never seen a ptarmigan in all my trips. I'd love to see one. I go in solo for five days. Most of my fishing is at around 11,000 feet to 12,000 feet. The highest I have climbed is on Mt. Copeland at 13,100 feet. I’ve never done a 14’er.

Being a flatlander, altitude sickness is something I have to live with for a couple of days at altitude. It's not fun. On most trips it hits me at about 9,000 feet but I can usually make it to 10,000 feet before I start puking. I stop when I puke and do the rest of the hike the next day. Usually by the third day at altitude I am ok with little shortness of breath or headaches. I only do trail less areas and use a topo and a navigational compass to get around. My favorite greenback lake is Arrowhead. I don't need a compass to find it now, I could do the hike in my sleep.

I'd love to hunt ptarmigan Shawn. No hunting in RMNC. I'm thinking there are probably some in the Collegiate Range which I am also familiar with. One of my bucket items is to find and hunt ptarmigan. They are a fascinating bird in a virtual paradise. I love the Colorado high peaks. I’m planning to buy a place in Estes Park. Then I can split my time between Pawling, NY and Estes Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00630.jpg (497.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg greenback2.jpg (123.9 KB, 101 views)
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: