View Single Post
New Member - Needs Help!
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Steve Sanford
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member - Needs Help!

All~

My Dad gave me this Parker many years ago. I am trying to understand what it is - how to properly describe or name it.

By way of introduction, I imagine I am a bit off course from many of the members. I have hunted ducks since I was 12 (I'll be 60 this year). I was lucky to have a Dad who ignited the passion and I was lucky enough to take my Dad gunning into his last year; I watched him double on Brant at age 85. Although I chase Turkeys in the spring and may shoot a deer each fall, I am a waterfowler at heart. I carve and paint decoys, build and restore boats, and retired a couple of years back from a 35-year career as a Wildlife Ecologist (primarily with NYSDEC). Although I have shot a few ducks with this 12 gauge Parker - and even shot my first goose with its 28 gauge twin - I was long ago corrupted by a friend who got me hooked on the Winchester Model 12. My everyday shooter is a 12 gauge Model 12 built in 1925 (coincidentally, the year of my Dad's birth).

Here's what I think I know/have discovered about this gun:

SN 241387

Manufactured after 1934, by Remington in Ilion, NY

It is 12 gauge, for 2 3/4" shells.

It has ejectors (not just extractors).

Frame size is 1 / 2 - which I gather means between Size 1 and Size 2 (and not Size One-half)

Barrel weight is 3 10 (superscript) - which I gather means 3 lbs 10 ounces.

The barrel length is 28" - measured from breech to muzzle.

I am not certain of the chokes - is that stamped/engraved anywhere on the gun? I think I remember my Dad telling me it was Mod and Full but cannot verify that.

The grade is the confusing part. As you can see from the pictures (I hope I am attaching them correctly - is there a way to import them into the message? Should I use Photobucket?)

As per this site's instructions, the water table is stamped DH. But, on the lug, it says G Grade. On the action, GH is stamped.

My Dad had always referred to it as a DHE. (my understanding is that the E signifies ejectors). This designation seems to match well with any pictures I have seen in books and on the web.

Am I on the right path?

I will appreciate any help you can give to a pump-gun shooter.

All the best,

SJS
Steve Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote