View Single Post
Newbie from Canada
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Craig Treleaven
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Newbie from Canada

Hi:

Like so many others, I've inherited a bunch of old guns and circumstances dictate that they be disposed of. Thanks to the wonderful information on this site, I understand that "my" Parker is an 1885 top-lever-hammer double-barrel 10 ga. Frame size 3, weight 5-2. Serial 43137. Don't see a grade marking but I believe it would be a Grade 0?

My question is about selling a Parker in Canada. There are at least three auctioneers in my province, Ontario, that hold regular gun auctions. I spoke with one yesterday and he said they've handled Parkers regularly but he didn't seem very enthusiastic. One factor is that there is an old repair to the left hammer. My G-grandfather was a talented (I believe) amateur gunsmith and the repair is quite difficult to see. I'll try to attach some pics to another post.

So, could I do substantially better selling the gun in the States rather than Canada? If I stay in Ontario, is one of the auctioneers known to be a better venue* than the others?

Craig

* I attended one auction (Landsborough, Mar 2013) to get a feel for the process. They were taking bids from the internet and the auction felt like it progressed at a snail's pace! I bailed after 4 hours and 300 lots. They did sell one Parker: 12 ga VHE from 1923 went for C$900. If you're really interested, you can see a pic or two re Lot #246 on their website.
Craig Treleaven is offline   Reply With Quote