View Single Post
Unread 11-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

All good points Greg, but...

The Q1 and Q2 stamps of Kathy's Repro look very close to those of the subject gun while, as you point out, the curly-cues are different on your "known to be original" from the ones on the subject gun. So, in my opinion, the stamps on the subject gun and Kathy's gun appear to be closer in appearance than those on your gun.

Incidentally, Kathy's gun is also a 'known to be original' Repro.

And here's another thing to ponder...
There were more than ten thousand Repros made and I'll bet a dollar that they weren't all stamped with the same dies. I know only a small fraction of them were choked Q1 & Q2 and I'll bet a dollar they weren't all stamped with the same dies. I would suggest there may have been at least three sets of Q1 & Q2 dies in use at any one time - one set for the 12 gauge barrels, one set for the 20 gauge barrels and one set for the 28 gauge barrels.... surmising each different gauge would require its own bench chuck to hold the barrels firmly in place while the flats were stamped.

What gauge is the subject set of barrels?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote