Thread: Dirty Tricks
View Single Post
Dirty Tricks
Unread 01-22-2023, 10:33 AM   #1
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Dirty Tricks

With the intention of shortening the learning curve I am hoping this thread will be a place people will share thoughts and experiences on evaluating Parkers. Particularly guns you might encounter at a gun show, auction, or in an in-store inspection setting. In other words, you have a relatively little time to make a decision. The recent post about the punched up breach engraving got me thinking about this. Some guns are poorly repaired and some are shoddily but deliberately repaired in an effort to turn a buck. It is a fine line in many cases, the end result can be the same, with the buyer taking on more work than he might bargain for.
I am hoping to hear about less obvious examples than say barrel condition (thickness, bore condition, ring, hunch), action condition (on face), and stock appearance.
To start I will recount that I once bought a gun where the hook had been built up with some clear glue (also described recently) The gun was tight but the glue wasnt apparent, perhaps it looked like a bit of grease on the hook. After some solvents and a bit of shooting the glue started to peel up. It still works as a shim but the gun wasnt quite what I had hoped. One lesson learned. Please help with others.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post: