View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

I received this valuable information in an email last night.

"This is from…..http://www.meridenfirearms.com/people.html

william h. gough
William Gough was an engraver for the Aubrey and Meriden shotguns. Gough also engraved for Parker, Remington, Colt and AH Fox.

His father, Harold, was a Birmingham Gun trade engraver that came to the US and worked for Parker Bros in Meriden.

William Gough apprenticed under his father at Parker Bros. About 1912, he went to the A.H. Fox Gun Co. and was head of their engraving department. He designed the bolder engraving styles Fox went to in the 1913-14 time frame. Even though he was head of the Fox engraving department, most ot the work he did was commission work from others (Winchester, Colt, Marlin, etc.) and a few high-grade Fox guns. Once the gun company part of their business was sold to Savage, and the production of the Ansley H. Fox gun was moved to Utica, NY, this outside commission work didn't sit well with the Savage executives and Gough opened his own engraving shop in Utica, and continued engraving into the 1950s. From the Utica newspaper dated August 24th 1954, William Gough "...took commissions in special engraving jobs from many parts of the country...he worked on engravings for Aubrey Guns, then manufactured by Sears Roebuck Co.; for guns turned out by Norwich Arms Corp., and Hollenbeck guns manufactured in Virgina."

Alfred Gough, the son of William, also engraved guns for Parker Bros. in the 20's and 30's."

Though this provides scant new information on H. Gough it does give a bit of Gough family history.

We are still looking for more information on H. Gough, "Harry" Gough, or Henry Gough as pertains to the "H. Gough" signature.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: