View Single Post
Cheap 10 ga loader experiment.
Unread 12-14-2021, 11:38 PM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,089 Times in 415 Posts

Default Cheap 10 ga loader experiment.

I recently wanted to load some upland 10 ga loads, having never loaded them before. My gun is 2-5/8" chambers, so I cut a few new primed chedittes to 2-1/2" and loaded them by hand with a dowel to seat the wad and a roll crimp. Load was the popular red dot 1-1/8 load with a BP wad trimmed back.

I didn't like these because of all the fillers needed. I cut a few more off to 2-1/8" and found they would work perfectly with 1-1/4 oz loads with a wad and a roll crimp. A slightly shorter case will work with this or the 1-1/8 oz load.

I happened to have a 12ga and a 16 ga Lee loader I bought on sale for $40 each. I had never seen one but was amazed when trying the 12 ga that they worked as well as they did.

They use a loose resizer ring that slips on the shell in the first station to resize and thenit is forced off in the seating station. Also, the shell pockets in the base of the 12 ga are a proper size to fit a 10 ga. I thought about this a while and got a $10 sizing ring from a Mec sizemaster and found that the 12 ga Lee die mated up perfectly with the MEC ring. I cut off a few once fired Chedittes (from RST) and tried them. I had to lay a thick 1/2" steel washer in the sizing/decapping station base to make the stroke work all the way to the bottom.

Bottom line is it worked perfectly. You simply slip the sizing ring on the hull, decap and size it, seat a primer (which removes the sizing ring) then move to the loading station and drop powder,seat wad and drop shot. It's ready to roll crimp. The only changes to the loader are to lay a 1/2" thick washer in the first station base and remove the 12 ga wad fingers.

The limitation on shell length is that the resizing/depriming "die" is tapered to center the 12 ga hull. I may take the die out and see if I can turn it straight internally to allow shells up to 2-5/8" or 2-7/8" to be loaded.

Resizing the steel heads on the Chedittes was easy and the system is made to resize just like this by pressing the ring down with the die. If you want short simple loads and a roll crimp you can get a useable reloader that sizes for very little money.

I don't have any pictures but there is little to see. The washer is needed because the die taper keeps the hull from going in the last 1/8". If I can bore it out internally, you could us the loader in stock 12 ga setup with a 10 ga roll crimper and load both gauges with no changes.

The fact it works so well makes me think Lee intended to include the 10 or just allowed for it. As it is, a 10 die set would only need a decapping die and ring, a set of 10 gauge fingers and the star crimpers.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: