View Single Post
#145603: new member needs help with valuation (Pics)
Unread 02-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
David Klotz
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default #145603: new member needs help with valuation (Pics)

Folks,

I just paid to join this Forum, and thank you all for its existence. I own a Parker SxS 12 gauge, serial #145603, which was purchased new by my great grandfather, possibly at Abercrombie and Fitch in Chicago. It has sat in my gun case, unused for decades. It is now time for me to assess the value of the gun, then consider selling it if it is worth sufficient money to me to do so. Any valuation assistance would be deeply appreciated.

Here is what I know:
Serial # 145603
Estimated date of manufacture: 1907
Frame Size: 2
Weight: 42
Grade: V
Steel: Vulcan
Grip: capped pistol grip
Barrels: 30" new (I think), sadly they have been cut down to 26 1/4" by some relative who may have had it in for his then unborn great grandson!

Mechanical condition: the gun fires and ejects as it should. Safety and triggers operate well. Lockup is very tight. All screws, fasteners, etc. appear to be present, with the single exception of a shield shaped medallion that looks to have been inlaid into the bottom rear of the buttstock.

Barrels: several dings, but no outright nasty dents. As stated above, the barrels were cut down from 30" (I think) to 26 1/4". A metal front bead was installed after the cutting atrocity was completed.

Bluing/corrosion: the bluing appears original. It has obviously faded quite a bit. No deep pitting or other evidence of serious corrosion. To me, this presents as a gun that was regularly hunted with in its early years, and was well maintained.

Stock: I believe the wood is original. It was "refinished" with a coat of varnish that was neatly applied, but far from a concours restoration. A roughly 1" block of walnut was added to the stock to lengthen the LOP. There are a couple of hairline cracks in the varnish near the rear of the trigger guard. I cannot tell if the stock itself is cracked underneath. The stock has no play or evidence of a crack in it when handled.

Attached are many pictures. I will post them in a couple of batches for uploading purposes.

I hope to get a sense of what this gun is worth, then sell it. Specifically, I would like to know what a buyer would pay me for the gun; and 2) whether the gun might sell through a For Sale post here on the Parker Forum. (The money will go toward a big game travel hunt, as the hunting tradition remains alive in my family.)

Thanks to all for any time and assistance.
Reghards, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker.27.JPG (79.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Parker.24.JPG (415.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Parker.17.jpg (490.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Parker.16.JPG (174.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Parker.14.jpg (492.0 KB, 4 views)
David Klotz is offline   Reply With Quote