View Single Post
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Sean Harper
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard-My secret hero.

You and Austin and Harry have the right idea. Let me reiterate; I know I could do a fine job getting everything back together, even though I do not have a mainspring vise. But my abilities are not really the point here. Ever since I pulled the first screw I felt that pang of emotion. The "do no harm" feeling. I decided that I would do absolutely nothing that was NOT of critical importance.

Saying this though, my gut tells me to be completely sure that these inner workings are in good shape. My concern is that I will miss some minute bit of metal or grime or rust-flake that will over time damage the mechanism. In other words; my gut is telling me to clean the hell out of it so I can be sure everything works propperly. I believe though that I can accomplish this without completely pulling the parts.

I have included a couple of pictures to show you the state of the left lock plate. The right plate is identical in condition. Notice the buildup of grime and crud. Notice also the amount of rust, this rust does not reomove with a fingernail. My thinking here is to bathe the entire apperatus in a de-rusting agent. Then cleaning with toothpicks and cotton swabs. Then an approprite long term lubricating agent. This is my current plan of attack. What do you folks think?

Enjoying every bit of the debate,
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4445.JPG (128.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4447.JPG (123.1 KB, 55 views)
Sean Harper is offline   Reply With Quote