View Single Post
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, I understand why PGCA should avoid giving advice but I wonder if it could compile info from known reliable sources. The check list I suggest would sure help a person like me who is learning what many of you have known for years and might take for granted others might also know the same thing. I agree about gunsmiths. I heard the local gun shop hired a new gunsmith so I stopped by to meet him. He was 21 yrs old and stuggling to install a rifle scope. After giving him some tips, I left shaking my head. I sure he had never seen a damascus barrel. I have taken one set of barrels to three local gunsmiths to measure the bores. Each has given me significantly different measurements. I don't have the tools or anyone to show me how to use them. What's a fella to do!?!

Dean, I saw that FAQ but thought it was for fluid steel barrels. Not sure why I thought that since it doesn't say it's limited to them. I guess I assumed, incorrectly apparently, the specs for composite barrels were different.

So does the a fella like me do to figure this all out? There must be some authority to go to for a step by step process in figuring it out? I could use the pray and shoot method but that doesn't insure it won't fail the next time. I don't know a gunsmith anywhere who will actually certify the soundness of a composite barrel (and I have asked some well known gunsmiths to do so but they won't).

Another observation about The Open Range. For 50 years (maybe longer) we have read ammo boxes that say not to use in composite barrels. The misunderstanding is that it is the ammo that is the problem not the barrels. It is amazing how many experience shooters don't undersatnd this. They all say such barrels are unsafe. I tell them, if that were the case, every one who fired a Parker 100 years ago would have killed themselves. Most experienced shooters don't really even know the differnece between damascus and twist. Everything is "damascus" to them.

On the pretty cool page, met a fella at the range this weekend who was standing around showing folks a GH 16 ga with damascus barrels. He was in his 70's I'm guessing. Said it was his Grand-dad's. Doesn't ever remember his grand-dad using it when he hunted with him as a boy. Probably not shot in 75 yrs! Based on serial number I'm guessing it was built about 1900. Was in good shape. Nice to know they're are some untouched originals out there.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote