View Single Post
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Bill, I concure with your position. Wall thickness guages only work with extensive modification and fixturing. Most people do not understand the variables involved. As for composite barrels, it is my belief that hammer forging increases the strenght of the steel. I.E. hammer forged tool steel. Over the years I have witnessed thousands of barrel failures. The bottom line is that fluid steel, or Damascus, failures occur only in obstructed bores. I have no problem with reloading, however I can trace most barrel failures to a cocked wad, no or insuffecient powder, or other obstruction. Almost never the thickness of the steel. I believe in over kill with a controlled explosion that close to your body. Most composite barrels exhibit wall thickness far greater than their fluid steel counterparts. I believe that Sherman Bell proved that misnomer. The only loss of flesh or digits that I have witnessed is with fluid steel, due to stupid loading problems. I have testified in many cases surrounding breach and barrel failures, it is allways the ammo. Logic would dictate that pressure will escape to the point of least resistance, so a clear bore will allow the charge to escape. Buldges and gooseeggs are due to minor obstructions that cleared. I believe that any bore of an antique shotgun should be inspected prior to use, fluid or composite. Rely on the opinion of someone that is specifically trained in the field. In closing, I would agree that ther are many barrels out there that are unsafe to fire, but don't pre judge the Damascus tubes, they are some of the finest ever built. In guns with Damascus barrels, the barrels were the single most expensive component in
the total gun.

Just my opinion,

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!