Thread: 16 Gauge Shells
View Single Post
Unread 08-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

The polywads may be very suitable, I have never used them, friend at the 5 stand last week had some and was going to ask his opinion but did not get around to it. RST hulls are Cheddites and not great hulls, but few good hulls available in 16 G. Gave up on anything else and worked out how to load Cheddites. Short of it is Mec 600 with the short kit, DR 16 wad, 3/4 oz shot Hodgdon International powder.

Way I calculate about 150 to 200 dollars to set up short 16 loading: used press short kit and ballistic products brass pre crimper . Cost of components excluding hulls is about 4 dollars a box. Forgot what I paid for two flats of RST at the Vintagers probably 150 ? That would be 7.50 per box. More expensive ordered in small quantities and shipped no doubt.

You have to shoot 5 or 6 flats to make loading pay . With a Parker Hammer 16 and Trojan 16 using least 1000 16 G shells per year I am ahead of the game loading, all figures from my head.

That’s why I say small quantity better to buy from RST. It’s a top quality load.

Afterthought, Ballistic products had primed empty 2 1/2 inch 16 G Cheddites back ordered for several years, last month they called, now in stock. I bought 3 bags.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post: