Unread 05-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #45
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Only one??

Five got away from me in one morning this season.

Please tell it Pete... we will always doff our hats to the ones that are wily enough to elude our shots.
Long story kind of, I went hunting with a friend, Frank, we worked together for many years and used go hunting before work together often. He has had some great tragedy in his life, his 20 yr old son was killed in a car accident this past January. I have stayed in touch and been encouraging him to get out so when he called and said he wanted to take me Turkey hunting there was no way I was going to say no. He lives in Nashua NH and hunts in Peterborough NH so I had be on the road at 2:45AM. Peterborough NH is beautiful and tons of open land. Frank has hunted the area for decades and has some great places. We hunted an old clear cut using a pop up blind at the edge of the woods, tight quarters for two shooters. We were in the blind from before sun up, hours went by but Frank was sure we would get action. Well patience pays off as single Jake came in silently about 9AM. Frank was adamant about me taking the shot but the bird was on the right and I was on the right side of the tent and bound up. I told him to shoot and he refused. I insisted again and about this time the jig was up. The bird bolted and I took a fast off hand shot at about 45 yards holding the gun at an angle due to the small tent window and my poor position to look through it. A few feathers and spent wad was all I had to show for it.

It was still a great day, we had action. Best of all Frank was acting like himself for the first time in months, he didn't cry but did have one sad moment reflecting on a past hunt with his son. Weeks ago I would not have been surprised to hear he had killed himself as he was so depressed. He told me he had been seeing a Counselor and I could tell it had helped greatly. I stopped in Nashua on the way home and visited my last remaining Uncle who is 83. I called first and he was standing on the side of the street in front of his house waiting for me. He looked so much like my father...... He is a little forgetful but in pretty good health for a man that age. All in all a good day, but I missed going to the shoot. I have been shooting clay pigeons real good lately, not sure when the goodness streak will end as I am on borrowed time :-) Sorry I missed a good time at Addieville, but yesterday was a real good day for me.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post: