View Single Post
Unread 04-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #20
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
There are a few members in southeast New Hampshire who are really into their short tens and all sorts of waterfowl. They mostly load their own ammo and really know what they’re doing and can give you advice you can take to the bank. I’m certainly no authority on this but they are. Pete Lester, Scott Kittredge, Frank Cronin, Bill Janelle... can one of you come on and help this member?
For starters let me say that -20C is -4 F, you will find me at home these days in weather like that. When IMR 7625 was discontinued I settled on two bismuth loads for waterfowling, 1 1/4 ounce with 24 gr of Green Dot and 1 3/8 ounce with 24 grains of Unique. These loads have been tested with Remington hulls and Winchester primers with 9000 and 8800 psi respectively. I have had no problems with them in a variety of composite barrel 10's, Parker NH, Rem 1894, and two Lefevers. Again as others have told you every gun is different but I believe 9000 psi is safe in my guns given their barrels. These two loads are in the spreadsheet you can find in another thread. I believe if you use these loads in a Federal hull, which I often do, the pressure will be lower due to the fiber base wad. If you use Remington hulls be advised there are different styles, the emerald green ones have less room and can't be loaded with a fold crimp as you see in the recipe. I solved that problem by using a rolled crimp.