View Single Post
Unread 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I doubt you will find published data for Red Dot in a 20. I am assuming you desire to load 7/8 oz.

Years ago I did extensive pattern testing of 8's through chokes ranging from cylinder through .012 or Lt. Mod. I tested 800x, Unique, Universal, 20/28(which was new at the time), Green Dot, and Winchester WSF. I also tested International but discarded it because of the pressures it generates. Shortly thereafter Alliant pulled all of their 7/8 oz Green Dot loads from their published data citing erratic pressures in some load combinations. Regardless the load, I never achieved anywhere near suitable results through cylinder choked guns (4 tested). I did achieve the most consistent results through chokes .006-.012 but never tested any chokes tighter than that. The criteria I used to make my decision was clean/complete burn, pattern consistency and repeatability, velocity consistency, load metering through a Mec 9000, hull life, and availability. My results were 1)WSF, 2)20/28, 3)Universal, 4)Unique, and 5) 800x.

Since then I have loaded close to 70,000 WSF shells and have had not one problem through all temperatures. Even during the powder shortage I was able to locate WSF with a bit of searching.

My current load:
Remington STS hull
Win 209 primer
Claybuster 1078-20 wad
7/8 oz of Eagle magnum 8's
16.7 gr. WSF
Velocity at approx. 1175 and pressure in the low 10k range.

Hope this helps.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post: