View Single Post
Unread 08-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Hello Allen - very sorry to hear of Ron's passing. I redid a really nice case for him a year or so ago and heard that he had not been doing well. He was too ill to speak to him then so I had a very nice conversation with his wife.

My hunch is that this gun was indeed ordered for trap or pigeon shooting with no safety and no ejectors. Most pigeon shooters have no need for ejectors since there is no time element in speed of reloading required, and the absence of a safety ensures that you won't forget to take it off before calling for the bird (LOST BIRD!!). The stock dimensions at comb and heel will be a pretty good indicator, since less drop at both comb and heel are common trap and pigeon gun determinants.

Also, some trap and pigeon shooters insisted on no ejectors and in some few cases no doll's head rib extensions as "annoyances" in maintaining maximum dexterity and movement around the breech. Likewise, lack of ejectors on a dedicated waterfowl gun is viewed by some as an asset, since you don't have empties flying around inside the blind when you break the gun open while trying to keep an eye out for more incoming birds.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: