View Single Post
Unread 04-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I’ve never read the MSDS or put in the diligence to determine the secret sauce that’s in Hoppe’s but I’ve read that it’s either ammonia or kerosene. Ironically, two of the worst smelling things that me poor beak has had the displeasure to encounter—especially kerosene which is just awful!!

I’m fairly certain that my Hoppe’s usage is deeply ingrained in my childhood psyche as there are definitely better preservatives available that maintain presence longer, no doubt.

Ammonia will attack copper in not so good ways—some suggest to steer clear of ammonia products and chrome b/c of the copper flash that often precedes chrome plating. It occurs to me that if there is no penetration of the chrome plating, the copper underneath (if present) should be safe. Does heavy usage of an ammonia laced product attack chrome itself—I dunno’??

I swab my bores and wipe off residual fouling with the stuff but rarely, if ever, do I swab and leave the bores set soaking overnight. I provide pretty basic and reasonable care for my firearms. Never have had a single issue using Hoppe’s, for years, on all varieties of guns in my safe.

So far as health hazard—simple, don’t bathe in the stuff or use it as a hand softener..also, be cautious and don’t spill the mercury or lead paint that sets next to it upon the shelf—duh!

I sure like the patina that Hoppe’s leaves on good bluing.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote