View Single Post
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #24
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Just be kind to the stock and keep the pressure of the shells you use preferably below 8,000 p.s.i. It has Parker Special Steel barrels and was made for 2 3/4" shells.

It loks to have a 'trap style' comb. Can you show closer pictures of the stock especially the grip area and the comb as well as a shot from the top of the stock?
Chamber pressure stresses barrels, recoil stresses wood. (Loose stocks are what really stress' wood as the receiver then hammers the stock on each firing). Take it to a good smith or learn how to make sure the screws are tight that hold the stock on. You will need to have the right screw drivers to avoid buggering them.

A fluid steel gun will handle the pressures of all off the shelf ammo.

If it were my gun I would shoot mostly 7/8 and 1 ounce loads, perhaps some 1 1/8 ounce for hunting, keeping velocity to 1200 fps and under.

Reloading is the best way to tailor these loads for old guns especially if you are more than an occasional shooter.

That is a great gun for one's first Parker!!! Congratulations.

PS. I don't know if anybody told you but Parker guns seldom stay only children very long.

PPS. A shield was provided by Parker for owner to personalize the gun with their initials. A "badge" on V, P and G grades, ovals on higher grades. Only the Trojan came without one to my knowledge. Lack of a shield could be evidence of a restock. Might be good to have a look under the trigger guard some day as Parker stamped the serial number on the wood under the guard.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote